Friday, March 6, 2009

Thrift Stores, Goodwill, Consignment Shops

I don't know about you but some folks just have an issue with going to Goodwill or anywhere similar. Not me, nope, nada--my motto is: "When I become rich I pray that I will still be humble enough to realize that there is nothing wrong with these places."

For instance, yesterday I stopped at one of my favorite little shops which I am reluctant to share the name with all my local friends. It is one of those best kept secret-type things, except my savings buddy, Krista, we both love this place. OK, I will tell you but you gotta leave me some good deals when you go: Repeat Boutique.

I love this place because all money goes to the Pregnancy Support Center. I find this to be a good way to support a charity without the commitment of a monthly contribution. I am a huge book reader and that is my main reason for frequent visits to Repeat Boutique. Yesterday, I found bin of "Love Inspired" Inspirational Romance Novels for 25 cents each. I bought all 17 of them for $4.25, one of these books in stores is between $5.50 and $6.50!!
These are all in excellent condition. BTW, these are good, clean romance novels--nothing yuck about them.

Magazines at Repeat Boutique are 1o cents each and many times, yesterday in fact, I found a March 2009 Martha Stewart magazine. Also, several of the current month's magazines that I find also have coupons in them that I can use for my grocery savings.

NOW, if you are reading this and thinking I am some lunatic for all my savings antics--well maybe you are right but this is something I enjoy. Sure I enjoy the occasional shopping sprees where I buy at full-price BUT why would I pay $4.99 for a magazine when I can get it for 10 cents??!!??

Yes, I did mention Goodwill and this is why. Goodwill, at least the one in Valdosta, gets Target and Old Navy mark-downs. They may not tell you that if you ask but it is quite obvious if you just take a few minutes and browse the store. I know it can smell like a dusty warehouse, but if you find a nice set of new Target lamps still in the box, and they just happen to match your decor perfectly--hello--I think we can find a way to rid them of the warehouse smell. AND--from a friend's recent experience at a wholesale market, which is where most companies get their NEW merchandise that they mark-up considerably for you to buy, those wholesale markets just so happen to be dusty warehouses with gorgeous findings yet, when you purchase it at the store you don't seem to find any of that dust or smell...hmmm...just a thought.

So, am I one of those people that hits every thrift store and consignment shop at least once a week? No, but more power to those who do. I am just a girl that loves to find fabulous deals and these are places that I think you can do that. I realize that not everything in these stores is a good deal. You need to "know your stuff" before you go. I don't buy something for a quarter just because it is a quarter. I think you get the point.

Blessings,
Tara

No comments: